Public Work – South Loop Boutique Hotel
Wheeler Mansion was built as a single family home by Calvin T. Wheeler, the President of the Board of Trade, in 1871; it was restored and converted into a hotel in 1999. Located in the South Loop near McCormick Place, the surrounding area has been largely overtaken with modern structures: loft-style manufacturing buildings to the south and multifamily units/ highrises to the north. As one of the few historic buildings to remain, the Wheeler Mansion sits on a very generous lot with wide side yards. The design takes full advantage of the space, with multiple garden rooms for entertaining and allows the guests to stroll the property. From spring through fall, the gardens will be used for weddings and corporate events as well as weekend brunch and a farmers market. In winter, the rear garden green will be converted into an ice rink with nightly s’more parties.